Sunday, April 20, 2008


On April 19, Joel and I went to see Ben Stein's new movie "Expelled." My water broke in the theater bathroom. Because it was Saturday night, my midwife wasn't on call and we had to talk to another doctor in the practice. She told us to "head on in." We went home to get our bags and left for the hospital around 9:45 p.m. The doctor decided to induce labor since I wasn't really having many contractions on my own. Plus, there was Maconium in the amniotic fluid. I labored through the night, and made some progress, but never dilated past 6 centimeters. William started to show some signs of distress from the pitocin, so they had to turn it off for a while. After two hours, there still wasn't any further progress and little William's heart rate was droping with every contraction. The doctor said that his head was stuck in a transverse position and she recommended a C-section to get him delivered. This was surprising news to us, and not how we imagined his delivery, but we were ready to do whatever was necessary to make sure he was born healthy. So, Joel gowned up and we headed to the OR. I was awake for the surgery - they used my epidural for anesthesia. Once they started, they had him out in about 5 minutes. William was born at 8:34 a.m. April 20, 2008! When they delivered him, the doctor told us that his cord was wrapped around his neck and leg, which could have been causing his heart rate to drop. He was 8 lbs. even, and 20.5 inches long. He let out a very feisty cry as soon as he was delivered, which was probably one of the best sounds I've ever heard. Joel got to hold him soon after he was born, and I got to hold him in the recovery room. We thank God for his safe delivery!

No comments: